Thursday, August 16, 2007

TCM'S SUMMER UNDER THE STARS: PART ONE

Since 2003, my favorite channel, Turner Classic Movies has dedicated the month of August as the Summer Under the Stars. One classic star for 24 hours with a mixture of their best known and loved roles plus some hidden gems. My DVR has nearly exploded this month. Just wait until the 20th. We are now at the halfway mark.

August 1 (Elizabeth Taylor): I've seen most of the films that were shown including National Velvet (cute), Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Brick was totally gay), Suddenly Last Summer (watch the last 20 minutes on an empty stomach), and A Place in the Sun (I'm sorry, but when she says "Tell Mama" I burst out laughing). I only DVR'd one film, Cynthia, made in 1947. It's a chance to see a young Taylor before she became a huge star.

August 2 (Peter O'Toole): I missed the premiere of Becket! Rats! Fortunately, there will be repeat airings. Already saw Lawrence of Arabia (DO NOT watch it on a small screen). DVR'd The Sandpiper which was an Elizabeth Taylor movie. They said he had a uncredited role as a voice on a phone. I watched about 20 minutes then I FF to the end of the film. O'Toole had several premieres of his films including one where he was in love with his sister!!

August 3 (Joan Crawford): Saw or didn't care about her daytime films including Mildred Pierce, Possessed, Rain, and Above Suspicion. She had several premieres that evening including Harriet Craig (boy, she was a major bitch in that one!), Autumn Leaves (nice love story), Berserk!, and the infamous Trog!

August 4 (William Holden): I did DVR Meet the Stewart's (cute comedy about newlyweds), Arizona (okay western), and Miss Grant Takes Richmond (Lucille Ball before I Love Lucy). After five aborted attempts, I finally watched part of The Bridge on the River Kwai.

August 5 (James Stewart): Jimmy! Jimmy! I have seen most of his films that aired on the fifth, but after several tries, I saw The Naked Spur! TRIVIA: Stewart is the only one to have a day dedicated to him on all 5 SUTS.

August 6 (Robert Mitchum): Didn't get to watch anything even El Dorado! WAAAAAHHHHHH!

August 7 (Jane Russell): Not again! NOTE: This means I didn't get to see anything.

August 8 (Dana Andrews): Who cares about anything else! I got to see The Best Years of Our Lives again!!

August 9 (Myrna Loy): Happy Birthday Mom! She really wanted to see all six Thin Man movies, but it's on DVD, so I might buy her the set for XMas. DVR: Lonelyhearts (meh).

August 10 (Vincent Price): Saw The Pit and the Pendulum in high school. Not half-bad. DVR: The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Theatre of Blood (can't critique until I see them)

August 11 (Doris Day): I've seen most of the movies shown today.

August 12 (Alan Ladd): Wait a second, Ladd was in Citizen Kane! Another day of no films I want to see.

August 13 (June Allyson): Much better. DVR: Good News (haven't seen it yet), The Bride Goes Wild (funny), her Private Screenings interview with TCM host Robert Osborne, and You Can't Run Away from It (musical remake of It Happened One Night).

August 14 (Ernest Borgnine): DVR: Season of Passion (haven't seen it yet).

August 15 (Joan Bennett): DVR: The Woman in the Window (I have wanted to see this for a long time), and The Woman on the Beach. Watched some of Father of the Bride and its sequel, Father's Little Dividend (both hysterically funny).

Well, that's it for me. If you want to see any of these films or check out the SUTS schedules, please go to the website TCM.com

No comments: